Wednesday, December 17, 2008

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Did you know that negative or zero values cannot be plotted correctly on logarithmically-graduated charts? And that only positive values can be interpreted on a logarithmic scale? And that the problem can be corrected by doing one of the following:

-Entering only positive values (greater than zero) in the cells used to create the chart, or

-In the chart, clicking the axis you want to change, clicking Selected Axis on the Format Menu, clicking the Scale Tab, and then clearing the Logarithmic Scale check box?

Did you know that? Well Excel and I do. My problem is that Excel doesn't know that I know that. And as I use a complicated spreadsheet that I need to display log-log charts, and there isn't always data in every cell that is plotted on such a chart, Excel feels the need to apprise me of all the above information pretty much every time I click on anything in the sheet. Not only that, but Excel insists I acknowledge its warning (by pressing "OK") before continuing. Excel even occasionally flashes warning lights at me when I'm using a different goddamn application, just to make sure I know that Excel can't plot negative or zero values on a logarithmically graduated scale. Excel loses no functionality when I do nothing to correct this problem; it simply does what any sane person would expect and doesn't plot the motherfucking data.

I pray someone out there knows a button to click that will suppress this warning, because the next time Excel warns me that negative or zero values can't be plotted on a logarithmically-graduated scale, I am going to cut someone's head off, incapable as I am of exacting revenge on Excel itself, which, sadly, I don't think has the ability to feel pain.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a screen shot of the warning and data/graph?
-r

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home